The Ibrox Bar

Ibrox Stadium is the home ground of Scottish club Glasgow Rangers, which has a large following among Protestants in Northern Ireland. The bar was formerly the Bunch Of Grapes (owned by the UDA’s Jim Gray). It’s initial attempt to rebrand itself using Rangers’ logo and the name “Ibrox” drew threat from the club (Irish Independent), and it changed its livery to the Eye-brox bar shown above.

Beersbridge Road, east Belfast

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2006 Peter Moloney
M03367

Breaking New Ground

A famous photo from the Battle Of The Bogside shows Bernadette Devlin breaking a piece of pavement. The board above – possibly of two independent halves – has her bringing down the pavement on the issues faced by women in Derry, such as water rates, lone parents, breast cancer support, and smoking cessation.

“Bogside & Brandywell Women’s Group – Breaking new ground – Féıle 06”

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2006 Peter Moloney
M03299

Dan Winter’s Cottage

“Dan Winter’s ancestral home – the focal point of the Battle Of The Diamond on 21st September 1795, which led to the formation of the Orange Order in Sloan’s house, Loughgall.”

Dan Winter’s cottage at “the Diamond” (the crossroad of Grange Road and Derryloughan Road) was occupied by (Catholic) Defenders as they marched towards the (Protestant) Peep-O-Day Boys on a nearby hill. 30 out of 300 Defenders would be killed while the Peep-O-Day Boys went unscathed. After the battle, the Protestant combatants met in Loughgall and formed the Orange Society. 10,000 Catholics would subsequently migrate from Armagh.

This is one of two buildings on Derryloughan Road with “Dan Winter’s Cottage” plaques.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2006 Peter Moloney
[M03232] [M03233] M03234 M03235

Orange Order Bicentenary

“This monument is erected by the County Grand Orange Lodge of Armagh to commemorate the bicentenary of the formation of the Orange Order after the Battle Of The Diamond on 21st September 1795.” The monument is near “the diamond” itself – the cross-roads of Grange Road and Derryloughan Road.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2006 Peter Moloney
[M03129] [M03130] M03231

Harland And Wolff

“RMS Titanic launched May 31 1911.” The design of RMS Titanic was overseen by Thomas Andrews Jr (among others) and constructed at Harland and Wolff shipyards in Belfast. Andrews was on the ship when it hit an iceberg and sank. Both he and captain Edward Smith went down with the ship.

Kenilworth Place, east Belfast

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2006 Peter Moloney
M03125

36th (Ulster) Division 1916

This is a Monkstown WWI mural in four quadrants, showing the emblem of the 36th (Ulster) Division, a soldier at the cross in the Thiepval Cemetery, soldiers feeding a belt of ammunition into a Vicker’s machine gun, and others loading a Stokes mortar.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2006 Peter Moloney
M03076 [M03077] [M03078] [M03079] [M03080]

In Remembrance Of The 36th (Ulster) Division

“In remembrance of the 36th (Ulster) Division – For God and Ulster”. “1912” refers to the founding of the Ulster Volunteers, who went on to form the 36th Division of the British Army, fighting at “Albert, Beaucourt, Thiepval, Grand Court, Passchendaele, Somme, Courtrai, Ypres, Cambreai [Cambrai], Rossieres [Rosières], Flanders, Baitleul [Bailleul], St Quentin, Beaumont[-]Hamel, Sch waden [Schwaben] Redoubt, Fricourt, Messines”. “At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.”

Cashel Close, Monkstown

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2006 Peter Moloney
M03061 [M03062] [M03063] [M03064]