UVF 3rd Battalion North Belfast

The battles that the 36th (Ulster) Division took part in are listed on either side of the silhouetted soldier: Ypres, Fricourt, Cambrai, Thiepval, Messines, Beaucourt, Somme, Albert, Flanders, St Quentin, Bailleul, Courtrai. The scroll at the top says “Tigers Bay III”. The memorial stone is to the “3rd Battalion, North Belfast”.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2006 Peter Moloney
M03034 M03035 [M03036 ] M03030 [M03031] M03032 M03033 [M03037]

Cumann Na Fuıseoıge

Established in 2004, Cumann Na Fuıseoıge (The Lark) is “ag soláthar spórt Ghaelaıgh don phobal sa cheantar Coılın” [providing Gaelic games to the people in the Colin area]. The club is named after the image of the lark (and barbed wire) used by Bobby Sands in his 1979 article The Lark And The Freedom Fighter. The choice of emblem proved controversial – Slugger.

Previously: a fundraiser for the club.

Jasmine Corner, Belfast/Dunmurry

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2006 Peter Moloney
M03001

Walkway Express

This mural by Blaze FX is opposite Walkway Community Centre (web) in Finvoy Street, Belfast. The railway between Belfast and Comber no longer exists; it is now a 7 mile cycle path. The place-names on the mural are stops on the old ‘Belfast & County Down’ system. Also depicted is the Belfast Blitz, which was in 1941, with targets including the Connswater fuel station (BBC).

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2006 Peter Moloney
M02941

James Magennis

VC (Victoria Cross) recipient James Magennis was the only person from Northern Ireland awarded the VC for action during WWII (WP). Although the mural is in loyalist Tullycarnet, Magennis was a Catholic, born in west Belfast, though he lived for a time in Castlereagh. Produced with help from the Tullycarnet Action Group Initiative Trust (TAGIT). The mural takes the place of an Eddie The Trooper mural (see Eddie’s Visual History page). There is a large memorial to Magennis in the grounds of Belfast City Hall.

Kings Road, Dundonald.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2006 Peter Moloney
M02936
2011 [M06481]

RMS Titanic

“Her name is publicly announced in April 1908. Designation begins in March 1909. On May 31. 1911, the Titanic was launched here in Belfast, April 10, 1912. She left Southampton for New York. April 14, 1912 disaster struck in the North Atlantic ocean, 1523 people lost their lives in the disaster, 705 passengers and crew survived.” “This mural is respectfully dedicated to the men, women and children who lost their lives in the waters of the North Atlantic on the night of April 14, 1912: to those who survived – whose lives from that night on were forever altered; and to those who built the Titanic [at Harland and Wolff]. We forget them not.”

Pictured in the centre of the mural is Captain Edward John “Ted” Smith.

Dee Street, Belfast. Replaces an earlier Titanic mural.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2006 Peter Moloney
[M02916 M02917] M02918 M02919