Lay Them Away On The Hill Side

“Lay them away on the hill side/along with the brave and the bold/Inscribe their names on the role [sic] of fame/in letters of purest gold.” The Ulster Tower at Thiepval commemorates the WWI dead of the 36th (Ulster) Division. The words, however, come from a song about James Daly, who was executed by firing squad for taking part in a 1920 mutiny of the Connaught Rangers in India in protest of the activities of the Black and Tans. Above is the insignia of “UVF South Belfast 2nd battalion” and below is a roll of honour for the battalion: “A salute to the brave/to those men we hold dear/they fought for our freedom/south Belfast volunteers.” Compare this mural to the previous (Here Lies A Soldier), which does not include any reference to the Great War.

On the side of The Hideout, Pine Street.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2009 Peter Moloney
[M04970] [M04971] M04972 M04969
[M05656] from 2010

Hunger Strikers

Hunger strikers of the modern era (including Frank Stagg and Michael Gaughan) in Rockmore Road, Belfast. This is the third such gallery of portraits – the first is here; the second can be seen in Google StreetView.

With adjacent vintage “H” nail-up.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2009 Peter Moloney
M04951 M04952

Tour The Murals

Murals are featured as part of an invitation to explore/taiscéal and take a tour/turas of west Belfast, on the office of Fáılte Feırste Thıar (in its second location: moved from 221 Falls Road to 243 Falls Road – and later again to 217 Falls Road). This BBC article describes a 1999 Fáılte map to help tourists get around.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2009 Peter Moloney
M04939

Gateway To West Belfast

The power station below Divis tower, rather than the so-called International Wall a little further up the road, is becoming the starting point for (republican) west Belfast. Visitors from around the world are greeted in a variety of languages. The board is sponsored by Gort Na Móna Historical Society. Above it is a Fáılte Feırste Thıar [Welcome To West Belfast] tarp: “Promoting west Belfast tourism”.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2009 Peter Moloney
M04901 M04902

Portraits Of The Market

Artist Raymond Henshaw undertook a series of six collages of photographs of the Markets area of south Belfast (in 2008): Social, Bars, Industry, Social History, Sport & Culture, and – shown in today’s post – Portraits of locals, such as snooker player “Joe Swales” (Joe Swail) and familiar buildings, such as Loughran’s Shop. The boards were part of the 2008 re-imaging campaign and sponsored by the Arts Council.

Eliza Street, Markets, south Belfast

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2009 Peter Moloney
M04811

Wheatfield Action Project

This is the second generation of a series of boards on Ballysilland Road depicting (as the info board states “a series of scenes from the 20th century which have strong resonance with the local community”. The first generation can be seen in 20th Century Northern Ireland. Most of the changes are at the start/left-hand side: the info board replaces the first two panels, which were of the Cavehill Road and the Clyde Valley, and (next in line) only one of the three scenes of Belfast on Ulster Day survives. Carson signing the covenant is followed by a new double-sized panel of Fernhill House, specifically of “the 2nd West Belfast Battalion of the UVF … on parade”, and then the rest as before, but with the order of the “Sunningdale Agreement of 1973” and “Ulster Workers Council’s ‘Constitutional Stoppage’ of May 1974” panels reversed (i.e. now in chronological order). “Parliament Buildings at Stormont, opened by the Prince of Wales (the future King Edward VIII) on 16 November 1932, completes the mural.”

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2008 Peter Moloney
M04335 [M04336] [M04337] [M04338] [M04339] [M04340] [M04341] [M04342] [M04343] M04344 [M04345] [M04346] [M04347] [M04348] M04349 [M04350]

Victoria Crosses Of The 36th (Ulster) Division

Nine Victoria Cross recipients from the 36th (Ulster) Division in World War I are honoured in this board on the Shankill at the Co-Op (which was previously across the road in Crimea Street). The nine are (from 1917 and 1918) E[dmund] De WindE[rnest] SeamanC[ecil] L[eonard] KnoxN[orman] Harvey, (from 1916) G[eoffrey] St. G[eorge] S[hillington] CatherW[illiam] F[rederick] MacFadzeanE[ric] N[orman] F[rankland] BellR[obert] Quigg, and J[ames] S[amuel] Emerson. “Only by remembering these men, and others like them, can we ever repay their memory.” The poem In Flanders’ Fields is by Canadian John McCrea.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2008 Peter Moloney
M04281 [M04278] [M04279] [M04280]