Carrickfergus RIR/UDR

“This cairn was erected in memory of Ranger Cyril Smith QGM 2nd battalion the Royal Irish Rangers 24th October 1990. Ranger Smith was killed rescuing a civilian driver who had been tied to a car bomb by terrorists. He succeeded in releasing the driver and helping him to safety. As he knowingly re-entered the danger area to warn his comrades the bomb detonated. For this action he was posthumously awarded the Queen’s Gallantry Medal.”

“In memory of the part-time members of A Coy. 9 UDR who were murdered by terrorists: 24289588 Pte. Russell HJ 12-13th July 1972, 24582042 Pte. Carlton SA 8th January 1982, ex. A Coy: serving 5 UDR Lieutenant Kerr WC 2nd November 1977.”

(The UDR was merged with the RIR to form the Royal Irish Regiment in 1992.) Both memorials are adjacent to the larger WWI war memorial along Marine Highway, Carrickfergus.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2009 Peter Moloney
M05256 M05257

Carrickfergus UYM

Armed and hooded UFA volunteers in jeans protect Carrickfergus castle, beneath the shields of the four nations of the UK. The UDA and UFF flags bear the names of the areas within South East Antrim. Vandalised (with “fuck you”) compared to 2008. The Birches, Carrickfergus.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2009 Peter Moloney
M05250

In 2014, the side-walls were updated in advance of a new mural on the main gable (which can be seen at Alain Miossec’s site). From left to right:

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2014 Peter Moloney
M10771 M10772 M10773

McCalmont Memorial Orange Hall

King Billy’s sword is tipped in blood, and he rides below a shamrock, rose, and thistle, uniting the kingdoms. Ballyclare Orange Hall is named after Hugh McCalmont, a major-general in the British Army Ulster Unionist MP for North Antrim in 1895. His Whiteabbey house was burned down by suffragettes in 1914 because it was used as a training ground by the UVF of the anti-franchise Carson.

Rashee Road, Ballyclare

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2009 Peter Moloney
M05243