History Of Bann River Bridge

This ‘History Of The Bann River Bridge’ describes the difficulty in maintaining a bridge, until the present granite bridge in 1833, which was built on dry land and the river then diverted under it (see image below from the Sprott Collection). The plaque notes the Irish Rebellion of 1641, when about 100 Protestants were forced into the water and died (WP).

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2008 Peter Moloney
M04137

Rising Sons Flute Band

“Rising Sons Flute Band (Fb) East Belfast 1985″ with the emblem of the Red Hand Commando on either side, flanking the insignia of the 36th (Ulster) Division, Ulster Volunteers, Royal Irish Rifles, UDR, and B-Specials (Ulster Special Constabulary). “Their name liveth forever more.” Seen in progress in 2005.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2008 Peter Moloney
M04046 [M04042] [M04043] [M04044] [M04045]

The Battle Of The Somme 1916

Soldiers from the 36th (Ulster) Division go over the top at the battle of the Somme – the original photograph can be seen at the BBC. In faded or newly-sketched letters on the right, “At the going down of the sun/And in the morning/We will remember them.”

The UDA mural on the left of the youth club is to Sgt Lindsay Mooney.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2007 Peter Moloney
M03903 [M03904] [M03905] [M03906] M03907

Londonderry History

From left to right: the apprentice boys crying “No surrender!”; the breaking of the boom; the Guild Hall; Walker’s statue; and Roaring Meg, a cannon in the Double Bastion. Dopey Dick, the orca, is on the wall of the building to the right (see the news report in the Digital Film Archive).

These are paintings on boards, replacing the five wall-paintings seen in 2005.

Outside the Cathedral Youth Club in the Fountain.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2007 Peter Moloney
M03913 M03912 M03911 M03910 M03909 M03914